The best podcasts for developers and sysadmins
I’ve been an avid podcast listener for nearly a decade now—I currently have an artfully-crafted list of precisely 50 podcasts that I listen to day in and day out. I find them to be an excellent way to focus (oddly enough) and learn new things throughout the workday. These sysadmin- and developer-focused podcasts for server nerds just might teach you something new or give you inspiration to build your next great web project.
Let’s get into it—this is just a list of podcasts tailored for the sysadmin and developer crowd, but I’ll chime in with a few personal favorites at the end.
- The Changelog: Conversations with the hackers, leaders, and innovators of software development. [RSS]
- Command Line Heroes: An original podcast about the people who transform technology from the command line up. Presented by Red Hat. [RSS]
- Syntax: A Tasty Treats Podcast for Web Developers. [RSS]
- Smashing Security: Join computer security industry veterans Graham Cluley and Carole Theriault as they chat with guests about cybercrime, hacking, and online privacy. [RSS]
- Arrested DevOps: ADO is the podcast that helps you achieve understanding, develop good practices, and operate your team and organization for maximum DevOps awesomeness. [RSS]
- Programming Throwdown: [RSS]
- FLOSS Weekly: We’re not talking dentistry here; FLOSS all about Free Libre Open Source Software. [RSS]
- Developer Tea: A podcast for developers designed to fit inside your tea break [RSS]
- Web of Tomorrow: In each episode Adam interviews somebody who works in the web world as a designer, developer, manager, advocate, or founder. [RSS]
- Away from Keyboard: Exploring the human side of creative work. [RSS]
- Under the Radar: From development and design to marketing and support, Under the Radar is all about independent app development. It’s never longer than 30 minutes. Hosted by Marco Arment and David Smith. [RSS]
- The Pitch: In each episode, we take you behind closed doors to the critical moment when aspiring entrepreneurs put it all on the line. [RSS]
- StartUp: StartUp is a documentary series about entrepreneurial life. [RSS]
- Without Fail: Any big success requires looking failure in the eye. Without Fail is the new show from Gimlet Media that asks people who have pursued incredible things: What worked? What didn’t? And why? [RSS]
- The Indie Hackers podcast: Raw conversations with the founders behind profitable online businesses. Hosted by Courtland Allen. [RSS]
- The Daily: This is how the news should sound. Twenty minutes a day, five days a week, hosted by Michael Barbaro and powered by New York Times journalism. [RSS]
- Planet Money: The economy, explained, with stories and surprises. [RSS]
- The Indicator: A little show about big ideas. From the people who make Planet Money, The Indicator helps you make sense of what’s happening today. [RSS]
- Hardcore History: In “Hardcore History” the very unconventional Dan Carlin takes his “Martian”, outside-the-box way of thinking and applies it to the past. [RSS]
Have any other developer/syadmin-focused favorites that I’m missing? Or just another must-listen? Let me know at [email protected].
Get THE BEST DEALS IN CLOUD HOSTING from Los Angeles!Grab a huge 32GB RAM & 320GB of SSD storage for just $109/year!